1128 NE 2nd Street,
Corvallis, OR 97330
Marketing & Sales
Optical & Technical
Optical Science Consulting Services
Our areas of brilliance include, but are not limited to:
- Illumination System Design, Modeling, and Analysis
- Light Source Selection, Measurement, Analysis, and Modeling
- Illumination System Design with LEDs
- Illumination System Design with Plasma Sources: High Pressure
Mercury and Xenon
- Illumination System Radiometric Testing and Analysis
- Fisheye Lenses and CMOS
- Digital Projector Light Engine Specification, Design, and
- Digital Projector Radiometric Testing and Analysis
- Digital Projector Color Wheel Design, Analysis, Testing, and
- Scattered and Stray Light Design and Analysis
- Optical Instrument Concept, Specification, Design, Analysis,
Development, Testing, and Characterization
- Radiometric/Photometric Calculations: Source to Screen and Source to Detector
- White Paper—Research & Development and Technical Writing
- Private Mentoring Program
- Private Coaching Programs
Consulting Program Objectives
- Perform high value technical consulting to meet our clients needs
- Provide optical expertise to clients who don't need a full time continuous
- Meet the needs of our clients for a high value consulting relationship
with an expert in the field
- Provide for short term, fast delivery assistance on high value technical
analysis and decisions
- Provide technical assistance to jump start projects
- Provide technical assistance to quickly review projects
- Use modern telecommunications devices and methods to eliminate travel and
provide technical assistance when needed worldwide
How It Works
- We work on a project basis and charge a project fee based upon the value
of the project
- We establish project deliverables and a schedule
- We can perform all of the work ourselves or partner with client team
- Our work can be individually or concurrently with your other team members
- Our design work can be in our software and analysis programs or yours (if
- Our clients are free to call us and don't have to worry about a clock
- We can work on a retainer basis where we are considered part of your staff
on a monthly or quarterly basis at some percentage of our time to help you
complete your design and development projects
Some Typical Consulting Client Participants
- Engineering manager wants us to write a specification for a new digital
projector illumination and imaging design and development program, review
proposals, and attend design reviews on her behalf
- Marketing Manager needs help understanding and communicating technical
aspects of their products to other engineers, perform analysis and research,
and write white paper for company to use
- Inventor needs help writing invention disclosure in area of illumination
design and help in crafting claims for patent application and reviewing and
commenting on possible prior art in closely related areas
- QA manager needs help writing spec, selecting instruments, and setting up
radiometric/photometric laboratory, and training engineers and technicians,
for test and analysis of illumination systems
- R&D Manager needs help designing new biophotonic instrument which uses LED
- Project Managers needs help with forensic optics investigation of new
product that has stray light problems that are decreasing the product
performance with certain customers
- System Integrator needs help with specification and illumination design of
new digital projector light engine that will improve the engine efficiency and
color gamut of the system
Enroll in the Consulting Programs
Send us a brief description of your company, position, your responsibilities,
and what your current needs are from our consulting services. We will contact
you to discuss your current needs to ensure that we can meet your objectives.
If we can meet your objectives we will then discuss the starting schedule.
Please email your initial information to me directly at:
mpate (at) oscintl . com
Who Are Our Best Clients
Our best clients need to solve an optical lens or
illumination design problem or an optical instrument problem.
serious about engaging a proven consulting firm who delivers the solution(s)
Our best clients have taken the time to write a problem statement or to write
a statement of work about what optical issues they need help solving. They
have already budgeted and have approval to move quickly on hiring a consultant
to solve their issues. They have enough time in their schedule to interact
with the consultant to provide information (or provide an internal resource
who can) when needed and to make critical decisions in a timely manner
about their project. Our best clients love what they do and have a passion
for their work, a bit of a sense of humor, and appreciate working with the
same kind of company.
What Consulting Program Participants Say About Our Service
- "We are very, very impressed
with your design review and presentation. It was comprehensive
and complete and made the process easier for us. Thanks!"
Project Manager, Medical
- "As we all indicated, my colleagues and I are extremely pleased with your
Phase I design analysis and report. I thought our discussion today was quite
comprehensive and productive. I am looking forward to your proposal in early
January and future results from your consulting services"
- "Michael, I believe the consulting work on our light
engine concepts and design analysis is excellent."
Director EO Systems,
Spatial Light Modulator Company
- "Michael, as usual,
very high quality work. Much inspired."
President, Optical R&D Company
technical content is very good in demonstrating our strengths in the area of
illumination systems, especially medical optics and light pipes."
Manager, Technical Optics Company
- "It was a pleasant surprise to talk with one
of those rare people who really understands this market and its technologies.
Thanks for your insights."
President, Light Source Development Company
We Also Work With Clients
Technology Strategy Consulting Services
- CTO Strategy Development, Support, and Guidance
- R&D Planning
- Industry Competitive Analysis and Tactical Positioning
- Digital Projection Business Entry Strategy Development
- Discover New Product Development and R&D Technical Boundaries and Limitations
- IP Brainstorming—Lateral Thinking—Whitespace Mapping—Idea
- New Product Development Specification and Planning
- Supply Chain Technical Assistance & Vendor Analysis and Management
We Solve for Clients
Design a HB LED illumination system for display and
Design a fresnel lens to capture and collect more light
Select and analyze the best light source for an
Design and analyze a condenser lens system for capturing
the most light from an source and delivering it to and illumination plane.
Developed several light engine concepts for a new type of
modulator and complete an illumination design, optical design, and
opto-mechanical design of the chosen light engine for prototype development.
Analyze an existing illumination system to determine where
a performance limitation has occurred and developed several solutions to solve
this issue and increase system signal to noise ratio.
Redesigned a section of an optical instrument to improve
the irradiance uniformity and symmetry at an illumination plane.
Created several new innovative designs and assist in the
patent disclosure, application, and prosecution.
Help entrepreneurs develop several concepts to obtain their
Series A funding for developing optical instrument prototypes.
Work with companies to develop optical instrument
prototypes by performing vendor selection, vendor visits, metrology support
and analysis, optical fabrication, optical assembly, and final system testing
Help Mechanical, Electrical, Physics, Chemical, and
Software Engineers develop optical system specifications to achieve their
optical instrument development goals.